Countdown to COP26 – 26 days to go!
The COP26 Summit brings together heads of state, climate experts and campaigners to agree action to tackle climate change. This year the UK is hosting the Summit in Glasgow. The UK is determined to demonstrate its leading stance on climate change, already committing to cut carbon emissions by 78% by 2035 and achieve net zero by 2050.
The goals of the summit are to secure global net zero by 2050 and keep 1.5 degrees within reach, adapt to protect communities and natural habitats, mobilise finance and work together to turn ambition into action.
As a business, our focus is on the sustainable management of resources for our customers. We fully understand the importance of taking action ourselves and helping others to do the same.
This year we are proud to have launched the second element of our Sustainability Plan, our Reconomy Environmental Action Plan (REAP). This follows the successful launch of our social value programme (RSVP) in 2018.
We are already making progress with our targets and can report the following achievements so far since we launched the plan in May:
- Planting of 60 trees and hedgerows being planned for Telford Office site in November
- 56% of our fleet have now been moved to hybrid models, with the first fully electrics also being introduced
- Installation of 16 charge points at our Head Office plus 12 at our Valpak Offices
- Supply Chain Sustainability School learning pathway courses for our internal teams across Group are at 50% completion
- We launched our 5 Steps to Circularity Resources Playbook that assists businesses with their journey towards zero waste and a circular business model
- Supplier sustainability assessments are underway
- Carbon reporting via our Portal is available and being developed further
In addition to this, we are making a big drive internally to embed and reinforce sustainable behaviour. We have established a Sustainability Steering Group to ensure Governance and leadership for introducing effective initiatives and policies across the entire Reconomy Group. This month, in aid of the countdown to COP26 campaign, we are also recruiting a network of Net Zero Heroes to be ‘our boots on the ground’ ambassadors that will help drive our environmental plans across the business teams and encourage people to not only think about sustainability at work but also introduce changes personally. More on this will be released this month.
As we head towards the summit we will be introducing, across our social channels and via email, a campaign to support educating our audiences about key takeaways from the summit, what businesses can do now to make positive action along with some other 26 themed topics.
If you are interested to stay close to what we are talking about click here to register for our comms updates.